Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ties No More


Why is it that people assume some women are pregger?

I personally don't think I look pregnant. And I'm not writing this post so people will tell me the same thing.

What I'm complaining about is like I said above...assumptions.

Let me 'splain:

On Sunday I wore one of my favorite shirts to church. Before church I thought (and told Ian) that I should cut the ties off of it, as they serve no purpose and make it look like a maternity shirt. But I didn't.

I met a couple of new people at church, and one of the ladies I met asked about my kids. I told her I had three boys. Roo was with me and Ethan was nearby. Isaac was with Ian across the room.

Conversation went like this:

"Yes, I have three boys. Lucas here is 2, and Ethan right there is 4."

"Oh and the one on the way is another boy?"

"No, my youngest is 3 months old and is with my husband over there." And I pointed to Ian, as I mentally made a note to buy some Spanx ASAP.

"Ohhh...he's only 3 months old." As she glances at my tummy and says it in a voice of comprehension.

Like I said...why assume? Sure, I'm not in perfect shape, but honestly? I would never act like I knew someone was pregnant unless they told me.

Even if they're wearing what might be a maternity shirt, or not. Even if it's blatantly obvious. You know what they say about assuming.

So someone pass me the scissors. And a Nutty Bar.

6 comments:

Me said...

I feel your vibe!Besides, she just meant you glow like a pregnant woman! I agree, don't assume someone is prego! Wait until they tell you! Pass me a nutty buddy too... they are so-o good!

Stacers said...

How sad! I am sorry. Yes, that is completely rude.

Em said...

Great writing! I love this post and I'm feeling major sympathy for you. It reminds me of Two Weeks Notice when Hugh Grant (the idiot) totally insults that lady when he asks if she's pregnant when she's not and then later insults her again insisting she's not when she is.

You'll be happy to note that I witheld presumptions a few weeks ago when I saw a girl who is very obviously pregnant, but didn't say anything about it to her or anyone else until I knew for a fact that she was. Not everyone is as rude as some people in church. :)

Laura said...

I agree, it is extremely frustrating when someone assumes you are pregnant and you are not. I hope you enjoyed your nutty bar!

Jennifer Ricker said...

i LOVE nutty bars!! and PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE tell me who it was that said that to you. I bet I can guess:-) i always say, "till you get the birth announcement, don't assume someone is pregnant!!"

The Harper Family said...

Thanks, Chrystina and Em!

And good job, Em. :)

Laura, I did very much! :) I want some more.

Jennifer, if you guess, I'll tell you if you're right. ;)